[libvirt-users] libvirt_lxc namespace and umount in global namespace

Olivier Nicaise oliviernicaise at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 12:47:52 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am currently having an issue with the libvirt_lxc binary that is launched
when starting a lxc instance using libvirt. This process seems to have its
own namespace for mounts.
What happens is that if I umount something in the global namespace, it
stays mounted in the libvirt_lxc namespace.
I'm working with drbd, and after unmounting the mount point, I want to
change the state of the drbd resource as Secondary. But if fails. Indeed,
libvirt_lxc has still the resource which is mounted in its namespace.

Currently, I wanted to test the setns tool to enter the namespace and
umount the mount point. But I am currently on Ubuntu 12.04 with a 3.2.0-59
kernel which does not have /proc/[pid]/ns/mnt
I can't upgrade to 3.8 (which have the proc mnt file) as the drbd tools are
not compatible.

Do you have an idea of what I could try ?

Here I the steps I do to reproduce the issue:
- Mount a drbd file system
- Start a lxc instance with libvirt
- Umount the drbd file system
- Set the drbd resource as secondary. => Does not work