[libvirt-users] Canceling a live migration via virsh? (QEMU/KVM)

Scott Sullivan ssullivan at liquidweb.com
Wed Jan 8 14:46:03 UTC 2014

I am using QEMU/KVM, using Live Migrations like this:

virsh migrate --live ${name} qemu+ssh://${DESTINATION}/system

My question, running this command makes it hang in the foreground. Is
there a way for this to return immediately, so I can just poll for the
migration status? Also, is there a way to _cancel_ a migration? I see
the --timeout option, however if a given timeout is reached I would
rather have the ability to cancel the migration than force the suspend.

I do see there is a QEMU api migrate_cancel..eg:

virsh qemu-monitor-command ${name} --pretty '{"execute":"migrate_cancel"}'

Is that the only way to cancel a migration using libvirt?