[libvirt-users] Should domain be undefined after migration, or not?

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Sun Jan 19 16:03:36 UTC 2014

I have been running a lab using libvirt under Debian Wheezy (libvirt
0.9.12.3-1, qemu-kvm 1.1.2+dfsg-6, virt-manager 0.9.1-4). There are a
number of machines as front-end servers and an nbd shared storage backend.

When I live-migrate a domain from one machine to another, normally I
observe that afterwards the domain remains on the source host (but in
"shutdown" state), as well as on the target host (in "running" state).
But occasionally I have observed the domain being removed from the
source host.

The trouble with the domain remaining on the source host is that it is
all too easy to double-click on the shutdown domain in virt-manager and
start it there accidentally, in addition to the copy on the target host
- resulting in disaster. (I know this can be prevented using the sanlock
plugin)

Furthermore, there could be stale copies of the XML lying around on some
machines where the domain had been running at some point in the past.

My question is, what is the expected behaviour? Is not removing the
domain definition from the source host a bug? Has this been changed in a
newer version of libvirt?

Thanks,

Brian.