[libvirt-users] how to detect if qemu supports live disk snapshot

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Jan 15 04:04:46 UTC 2014

On 01/14/2014 08:13 PM, Gao Yongwei wrote:

>>> So, if I'm not mistaken, looks like the only way to test for the support
>> in QEMU is to actually
>>> request a snapshot and see what happens.
>>> Is this right?
>>
>> Unfortunately true for the moment.
>>
> Hi, does this command can help with you?
>   virsh qemu-monitor-command vmname  --hmp 'help' | grep snapshot_blkdev

This would work for current versions of qemu, but may not work in the
future (as HMP does not guarantee stable output) - parsing QMP output
would be more reliable.  Furthermore, the 'qemu-monitor-command' is
intentionally unsupported, although this particular use is safe because
it doesn't change guest state behind libvirt's back.