[libvirt-users] memoryStats question

Claudio Bley cbley at av-test.de
Thu Jul 3 14:23:02 UTC 2014

At Thu, 3 Jul 2014 15:58:41 +0200,
Martin Kletzander wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 04:31:46PM +0300, Gleb Voronich wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm trying to get memory usage statistic inside a guest machine using
> >virDomainMemoryStats function at libvirt.
> >According to
> >http://libvirt.org/html/libvirt-libvirt.html#virDomainMemoryStatTags the
> >structure could have a lot of useful memory statistic but the amount of
> >parameters depends on the hypervisor and the driver.
> >However using KVM I'm able to get VIR_DOMAIN_MEMORY_STAT_ACTUAL_BALLOON
> >and VIR_DOMAIN_MEMORY_STAT_RSS only.
> >

> QEMU/KVM only supports these two IIRC.

Actually, you should get more stats when using the virtio balloon
driver in your guests.

E.g. the windows virtio driver supports these stats:

SWAP_IN  0   /* Amount of memory swapped in */
SWAP_OUT 1   /* Amount of memory swapped out */
MAJFLT   2   /* Number of major faults */
MINFLT   3   /* Number of minor faults */
MEMFREE  4   /* Total amount of free memory */
MEMTOT   5   /* Total amount of memory */

See
https://github.com/YanVugenfirer/kvm-guest-drivers-windows/blob/9a5cb6749d68bad8c346d31b811c854ab078652e/Balloon/sys/public.h

IFAIR, these should be queried by the virDomainMemoryStats function.

Claudio
--
BSc (Comp) Claudio Bley - Principal Software Engineer
AV-TEST GmbH, Klewitzstr. 7, 39112 Magdeburg, Germany

* https://twitter.com/avtestorg * https://facebook.com/avtestorg *
* https://plus.google.com/100383867141221115206/ *

Eingetragen am / Registered at: Amtsgericht Stendal (HRB 114076)
Geschaeftsfuehrer (CEO): Andreas Marx, Guido Habicht, Maik Morgenstern

Our services shall be effected on the basis of the General Terms
and Conditions of AV-TEST GmbH, which are accessible under
<http://www.av-test.org/en/av-test/terms-and-conditions/> or
obtainable upon request.

Unsere Leistungen erfolgen auf der Grundlage der Allgemeinen
Geschäftsbedingungen der AV-TEST GmbH, die unter
<http://www.av-test.org/av-test/agb/> abrufbar sind oder auf
Anfrage übersandt werden.