[libvirt-users] configuring a lxc guest to run 32bits from a 64bits host under libvirt-lxc

Thierry Parmentelat thierry.parmentelat at inria.fr
Sun Jul 13 11:21:57 UTC 2014

Hi again

Sorry for the late reaction on this..

So everything seems to work fine for me when using the setting below, except maybe for one little point

I was kind of expecting that
# virsh -c lxc:/// lxc-enter-namespace my_32bits_vm ...
would run in a 32bits environment too, but from what I can see it is not the case

I take it it can be argued, reading the documentation for lxc-enter-namespace again, that might well be the intended behaviour

In this case I would argue it would make a lot of sense to have either :
(a) lxc-enter-namespace to do the right thing personality-wise as well (possibly through an option if there are legacy concerns)
or (b) a virsh function/command that can help retrieve the right personality
like e.g.
virsh -c lxc:/// personality the_vm
that would return either linux32 or linux64 so it would be possible to run
$(virsh -c lxc:/// personality the_vm) virsh -c lxc:/// lxc-enter-namespace the_vm — /usr/bin/env yum groupinstall ...

Or is there something else available already that I am missing altogether ?

Thanks — Thierry