[libvirt-users] [Resolved] Re: virsh blockcopy: doesn't seem to flatten the chain by default

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Thu Jul 3 10:18:36 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 05:07:40PM +0800, shyu wrote:

> On 07/03/2014 03:12 AM, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:

[. . ]

Okay, I clearly must have done something wrong during guestfish disk
creations plus a mix of libvirt/QEMU manipulations (backing chains were
created using `qemu-img`).

If I consistently use libvirt across the board, it, of course, works
fine. I just did a retest by building libvirt & QEMU from git:

libvirt:

    $ git rev-parse --short HEAD && git describe
    5098f67
    v1.2.6-9-g5098f67

QEMU:

    $ git rev-parse --short HEAD && git describe
    92259b7
    v2.1.0-rc0

Test w/ a Fedora-20 image
-------------------------

Start the guest:

    $ virsh start vm1

Make it transient:

    $ virsh dumpxml --inactive vm1 > /var/tmp/vm1.xml

[Add some content into base.qcow2]

Take a live, external disk-only snapshot:

    $ virsh snapshot-create-as \
        --domain vm1 snap1 snap1-with-foo \
        --diskspec vda,file=/export/images/snap1.qcow2 \
        --disk-only

[Add some content into snap1.qcow2]

Perform live blockcopy and finish the mirroring gracefully:

    $ virsh blockcopy \
        --domain vm1 \
        --path vda /export/images/copy.qcow2 \
        --wait --verbose --finish

[Examine copy.qcow2 contents - it should reflect all content]

Define the guest to make it persistent again:

    $ virsh define /var/tmp/vm1.xml

--
/kashyap