[libvirt-users] starting lxcs from within a vm using libvirt

Robb Walker rwalker at DRWHoldings.com
Tue Jul 15 14:29:53 UTC 2014

Just another ping, and please let me know if this is not the proper format to re-ask my submitted question, but anyone else having any joy on running lxcs via libvirt launched from within a vm?

From: libvirt-users-bounces at redhat.com <libvirt-users-bounces at redhat.com> on behalf of Robb Walker <rwalker at DRWHoldings.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2014 4:06 PM
To: libvirt-users at redhat.com
Subject: [libvirt-users] starting lxcs from within a vm using libvirt

my goal for testing/simulations is to be able to run a vm on my desktop and within that vm run linux containers

currently I can start an ubuntu trusty vm using libvirt as my broker to qemu or qemu-system-x86_64 directly and start a saucy-based lxc using lxc-tools. I invoke lxc-start -n name -f configfile and within a few seconds I'm logged into my saucy based lxc. I can't start the lxc thru libvirt i.e. virsh -c lxc:/// start domain

Again, if I try to use libvirt to "install" and start the lxc from within the vm, no joy. Results below:

root at vullbvrt69:~# virt-install --connect lxc:/// -n vulslxc01 -r 512 --filesystem /qemu_lxc/ss_140521/,/ --serial pty --serial pty

Starting install...
Creating domain...                                                                |    0 B     00:00
error: failed to get domain '22542'
error: Domain not found: No domain with matching name '22542'

Domain creation completed. You can restart your domain by running:

root at vullbvrt69:~# virsh -c lxc:/// list --all
 Id    Name                           State
 -     vulslxc01                 shut off

root at vullbvrt69:~# virsh -c lxc:/// start vulslxc01
Domain vulslxc01 started

root at vullbvrt69:~# virsh -c lxc:/// console vulslxc01 --devname serial1
error: The domain is not running

root at vullbvrt69:~# virsh -c lxc:/// list --all
 Id    Name                           State
 -     vulslxc01                 shut off

My physical desktop is running precise 12.04.4

----qemu-kvm                                     1.0+noroms-0ubuntu14.15

----libvirt-bin                                  0.9.8-2ubuntu17.19

----lxc                                          0.7.5-3ubuntu69

This physical machine launches the trusty vm from which in turn I'm trying to run lxcs via libvirt

Trusty vm

----libvirt-bin           1.2.2-0ubuntu13.1.1

----lxc                     1.0.4-0ubuntu0.1

The saucy lxc was not created using lxc templates just a normal minbase debootstrap.

I have run virt-install with -d. Nothing obvious jumps out except the above Domain not found

virsh -c lxc:/// -d4 -l debug.out start domain_name  dumps nothing into debug.out

thx in advance for any and all help and apolgies in advance if I've dropped critical info to help sort this out

This e-mail and any attachments may contain information that is confidential and proprietary and otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, do not read, duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please immediately delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error. Unintended recipients are prohibited from taking action on the basis of information in this e-mail or any attachments. The DRW Companies make no representations that this e-mail or any attachments are free of computer viruses or other defects.