[libvirt-users] starting lxcs from within a vm using libvirt

Robb Walker rwalker at DRWHoldings.com
Tue Jul 15 17:06:19 UTC 2014

Thanks very much for the response and the forum confirmation sir!

I tried this initially on a centos6u5 build with libvirt. I could not start the lxc on centos with libvirt with similar errors I posted about my luck on ubuntu.
The reason I bounced to ubuntu was that it was very quick to stand-up the comparison of initializing an lxc guest via libvirt vs lxc-tools. Rhel/Centos have not added lxc-tools as readily grabbable rpms as of my last check.

I will get lxc-tools installed on my centos vm and verify if I see the same behavior. I may also hit up the lxc-users list and see if anyone has experience similar

Thx again and Regards

From: Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 11:47 AM
To: Robb Walker; libvirt-users at redhat.com
Subject: Re: [libvirt-users] starting lxcs from within a vm using libvirt

On 07/15/2014 08:29 AM, Robb Walker wrote:
> Just another ping, and please let me know if this is not the proper format to re-ask my submitted question, but anyone else having any joy on running lxcs via libvirt launched from within a vm?

This is the right forum, even if no one has answered so far.  Running
lxc guests inside an L1 kvm guest should be possible (I haven't tried it
myself, but doesn't seem like there should be any major obstacles).

> root at vullbvrt69:~# virt-install --connect lxc:/// -n vulslxc01 -r 512 --filesystem /qemu_lxc/ss_140521/,/ --serial pty --serial pty
>
> Starting install...
> Creating domain...                                                                |    0 B     00:00
> error: failed to get domain '22542'
> error: Domain not found: No domain with matching name '22542'

Not sure where that error is coming from, since you named your domain
vulslxc01 rather than 22542.  I'm not much of an Ubuntu user myself, so
I don't know how well lxc guests fare on that build; you may get faster
response if you open a Launchpad ticket?

> This e-mail and any attachments may contain information that is confidential and proprietary

This disclaimer is unenforceable on publicly archived lists; you may be
better off sending from a personal account rather than from an
employer's account that slams on bogus legalese.

This e-mail and any attachments may contain information that is confidential and proprietary and otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, do not read, duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please immediately delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error. Unintended recipients are prohibited from taking action on the basis of information in this e-mail or any attachments. The DRW Companies make no representations that this e-mail or any attachments are free of computer viruses or other defects.