[libvirt-users] dumpxml removes <source> portion from network descritiption

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Thu Jun 19 12:38:06 UTC 2014

On 06/19/2014 02:47 PM, Thomas Stein wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a strange error with one of my VMs. If i use dumpxml to save a VM
> description the source part of the network part is missing. This prevents
> redifining the machine from the dumped xml file:
>
> This is how it looks before dumpxml:
>
>     <interface type='bridge'>
>       <mac address='52:54:00:34:a1:56'/>
>       <source bridge='br406'/>
>       <model type='virtio'/>
>       <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03'
> function='0x0'/>
>     </interface>
>

> And afterwards:
>
>     <interface type='bridge'>
>       <mac address='52:54:00:34:a1:56'/>
>       <target dev='vnet6'/>
>       <model type='virtio'/>
>       <alias name='net0'/>
>       <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03'
> function='0x0'/>
>     </interface>
>
> Someone has an idea whats causing this? Is there a special option maybe?

1) what is the libvirt version?

2) are you using "virsh dumpxml --inactive"?

The source should anyway be there when you do virsh dumpxml with or
without --inactive, but the proper way to get the config of a domain
that can be fed back into the domain is by using --inactive (otherwise
you get the current status of the interface, which may have some
differences).

(I'm interested to learn the libvirt version because when I look at the
virsh dumpxml of an <interface type='bridge'> on my system running
current upstream libvirt, I *do* see the <source> element. Given the
version you're running, I can possibly take a look at that vintage of
source to see if there was a bug in that version)