[libvirt-users] converted VMDK disk iamge and Virtio driver

Paul Raines raines at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 19 14:23:23 UTC 2014

virt-v2v is not an option for me as all I have are the VMDK images and
don't have the VMware software to covert to OVA first.

I really don't understand what is going wrong.  I also found
https://access.redhat.com/site/solutions/20511 and that still doesn't
work.  Both /etc/fstab and grub.conf refer to the LABEL and not any
device name.

In the boot process I see it explicitly says it is loading virtio_blk before
the panic.  So it is like that driver just doesn't see the disk.  The
host machine is a CentOS 6 box.  Is it possible the virtio in the libvirt
for CentOS/RHEL6 is not compatiable with the virtio_blk driver in
CentOS/RHEL5?  Either that, or something else getting loaded is causing
interference?

-- Paul Raines (http://help.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu)

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 4:49pm, Eric Blake wrote:

> On 06/18/2014 02:23 PM, Paul Raines wrote:
>>
>> I have a CentOS 5 VM in vmware I wanted to move to work on KVM/libvirt.
>> I used qemu-img to convert it to a qcow2 image, loaded virt-manager and
>> created a new VM pointed at that qcow2 image.  The boot paniced when it
>> tried to mount
>> the root filesystem also complaining about not being able to remount the
>> swap partition.
>
> In general, converting a disk image from one hypervisor to another is
> not trivial, because of things such as missing drivers and different
> hardware being presented to the guest.  The virt-v2v project exists to
> cover a lot of cases that you are probably overlooking in your manual
> attempt; I'd recommend trying that approach:
>
> http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v/
>
>> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom
>> it is
>> e-mail
>
> This disclaimer is unenforceable on a publicly-archived mailing list.
> You might want to consider using a personal email account rather than
> spamming the list with your employer's bogus legalese.
>
> --
> Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266

dispose of the e-mail.