[libvirt-users] Access permissions of passed through character devices

Pickartz, Simon SPickartz at eonerc.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Jun 20 08:01:10 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I am using libvirt in conjunction with LXC. In accordance with http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsHostDevCaps I pass an InfiniBand adapter through to the guest container. However, within the container the access permissions are not the same. Within the host they are like this:

crw-rw-rw- 1 root root  10,  56 20. Jun 09:40 rdma_cm
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 231, 224 20. Jun 09:41 ucm0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 231,   0 20. Jun 09:41 umad0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 231,   1 20. Jun 09:41 umad1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 231, 192 20. Jun 09:41 uverbs0

Within the guest, only root may read or write from/to the device:

crw------- 1 root root  10,  56 20. Jun 09:40 rdma_cm
crw------- 1 root root 231, 224 20. Jun 09:41 ucm0
crw------- 1 root root 231,   0 20. Jun 09:41 umad0
crw------- 1 root root 231,   1 20. Jun 09:41 umad1
crw------- 1 root root 231, 192 20. Jun 09:41 uverbs0

Do you have any ideas how I can tell lxc via libvirt to change the permissions in such a way that they correspond to those on the host system?

Best regards,
Simon