[libvirt-users] qemu-bridge-helper issue

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Wed Jun 25 14:29:37 UTC 2014

(Please don't top-post. Instead include your responses inline instead.
It is much easier to follow the conversation and respond to multiple
points that way.

On 06/25/2014 04:16 PM, abhishek jain wrote:
> HI Laine,
>
> Looks like we are able to run qemu-bridge-helper and it internally
> tries to create tap interface.
> While creating this tap interface we are getting Operation not
> permitted error:
> *
> *
> *failed to create tun device: Operation not permitted
>
> *
> How we can create tun interface without root user is the issue. Please
> let us know how to proceed on this.

That's what I've tried to tell you in the last two responses, and you
haven't given any new information about whether or not 1) your binary
has the suid bit set, or 2) you tried setting it. If you don't
understand why that would help, please read up on the "suid bit" and
what it does.

If you have set the suid bit of the binary, and have checked the web
page I indicated, compared your /etc/qemu/bridge.conf, and found that it
had proper content to satisfy the ACL requirements of
qemu-bridge-helper, but it still doesn't work, then you'll need to go to
a qemu-specific help source, such as the #qemu channel on irc.oftc.net -
libvirt doesn't do anything directly with the qemu-bridge-helper (and
aside from that, you are apparently not even using libvirt, but are
instead running qemu/kvm directly.)