[libvirt-users] LIbvirt Python Snapshot -Domain Crashing

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Jun 3 14:12:47 UTC 2014

On 06/03/2014 07:27 AM, Sijo Jose wrote:

[please don't top-post on technical lists]

> Martin,
> Actually domain doesn't crash, but it state got changed to pause, till the
> snapshot action got complete.
> Its a time consuming process.

Yes, the default internal snapshot is a time-consuming process, which is
why we recommend external snapshots, which can be taken with very little
guest downtime.

> so here is my requirement.
>
> I want to take snapshot of a Running Domain on every 3 hours,( at a later
> point of time It should be possible to revert to the actual domain state
> when I took the snapshot), I'm using libvirt APIs python bindings,
> there are many  flags defined, so which way I can accomplish it..?
> as of now I"m using flag value as zero.

You need to use flags to achieve what you want.  In particular...

> VIR_DOMAIN_SNAPSHOT_CREATE_LIVE = 256
> create the snapshot while the guest is running

this flag is necessary, along with...

>>> <domainsnapshot>
>>>  <name>snp1</name>
>>>  <creationTime></creationTime>
>>>  <description>Description</description>
>>>  <state></state>
>>>  <domain>
>>>     <uuid></uuid>
>>>  </domain>
>>>  <parent>
>>>    <name></name>
>>>  </parent>
>>>
>>> </domainsnapshot>

additional changes to this XML to specifically request an external
snapshot by listing the pathname at which the external memory snapshot
will live.  See how 'virsh snapshot-create-as $dom --print-xml --live
--memspec /path/to/file' does it.