[libvirt-users] Cannot obtain CPU freq during vbox machine creation

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jun 6 09:28:08 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 11:00:43PM +0200, Tomasz Kowal wrote:
> Dear libvirt experts,
>
> I can not instantiate even a simple machine when using the 'vbox' hypervisor:
>
> s14% virt-install --connect=vbox:///session --virt-type vbox --name vtest --memory 500
> ERROR    cannot obtain CPU freq: No such file or directory
>
> s14% virsh -c vbox:///session
> błąd: cannot obtain CPU freq: No such file or directory

That error message means the following system call is failing

    if (sysctlbyname("dev.cpu.0.freq", &cpu_freq, &cpu_freq_len, NULL, 0) < 0) {
        virReportSystemError(errno, "%s", _("cannot obtain CPU freq"));
        return -1;
    }

Afraid I don't know enough about FreeBSD to say why that might
fail, but there's obviously something unexpected in the setup
or deployment of your system that differs from what we previously
had tested with.

Regards,
Daniel