[libvirt-users] Cannot obtain CPU freq during vbox machine creation

Roman Bogorodskiy bogorodskiy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 15:56:37 UTC 2014

  Tomasz Kowal wrote:

> Dear libvirt experts,
>
> I can not instantiate even a simple machine when using the 'vbox' hypervisor:
>
> s14% virt-install --connect=vbox:///session --virt-type vbox --name vtest --memory 500
> ERROR    cannot obtain CPU freq: No such file or directory
>
> s14% virsh -c vbox:///session
> błąd: cannot obtain CPU freq: No such file or directory
> (1)
>
> How to fix this error? The VirtualBox driver seems to be installed:
>
> s14% virsh -V
> Narzędzie wiersza poleceń virsh biblioteki libvirt 1.2.5
> Proszę zobaczyć stronę WWW pod adresem http://libvirt.org/
>
> Compiled with support for:
>  Hypervisors: QEMU/KVM UML VMWare PHYP VirtualBox ESX Test
>  Networking: Remote Bridging
>  Storage: Dir SCSI
>  Miscellaneous: Daemon Secrets Debug Readline Modular
>
> s14% uname -a
> FreeBSD s14 9.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.3-PRERELEASE #0: Fri May 16 06:45:56 CEST 2                                                                                                                                                             014

Hi,

Could you please show an output of the 'sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq' command?

PS I'm not aware of anybody using libvirtd on FreeBSD with the vbox
driver, so quite probably you're entering an unexplored territory. I've
tried connecting to 'vbox:///session' though and it worked, but I didn't
go further.

> .
>

> Yours faithfully,
>     Tomasz Kowal