[libvirt-users] Fedora 19/20 new install :Unable to create vcpu cgroup

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Sun Jun 15 08:32:13 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 10:27:12AM +0300, Patrick Chemla wrote:

[. . .]

> I adapted your commands to my conf:
>
> # qemu-img create -f qcow2 -o preallocation=metadata /home/kvmimages/f20vm
> 4G
> Formatting '/home/kvmimages/f20vm', fmt=qcow2 size=4294967296 encryption=off
> cluster_size=65536 preallocation='metadata' lazy_refcounts=off
> # virt-install --name f20vm --disk /home/kvmimages/f20vm --cdrom
> /home/kvmimages/Fedora-20-x86_64-DVD.iso --memory 2048
> WARNING  CDROM media does not print to the text console by default, so you
> likely will not see text install output. You might want to use --location.
>
> Début d'installation...
> ERROR    internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: Failed
> to create chardev
>
> L'installation du domaine ne semble pas s'être terminée avec succès.
> Si c'est bon, vous pouvez démarrer le domaine en lançant :
>  virsh --connect qemu:///system start f20vm
> sinon, recommencez l'installation.
>
> Always the same Failed to create chardev.
>
> I do think it's a problem of permission as you said, but on which
> directory/files?

Wherever your disk image is located (/home/kvmimages) QEMU should be
able to access it (executable bit for 'others'). For instance, I have
these permissions for my home directory where I store VM images:

    $ ls -lash / | grep home
    4.0K drwxr-xr-x.   7 root    root     4.0K Aug  7  2013 home

Permissions on the specific directory where I store VM images
(/home/kashyap/vmimages):

    $ ls -lash /home/kashyap/ | grep vmimages
    4.0K drwxrwxr-x.   2 kashyap kashyap 4.0K Jun 14 21:50 vmimages

> When I create/run a F20 VM on my local computer, it's OK. I have
> verified rpm versions, seem OK. I have rsynced /etc/libvirt dir from
> local computer to remote server.
>
> It works on my local like on yours,but not on my remote. I need the
> remote to run VMs.

If I'm parsing you correctly, you've SSHed into the remote machine and
running virt-install. Like I said, if QEMU can access your home
directory (as I noted above), where you're storing disk images, you
shouldn't have any issues.

--
/kashyap