[libvirt-users] converted VMDK disk iamge and Virtio driver

Paul Raines raines at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 18 20:23:10 UTC 2014

I have a CentOS 5 VM in vmware I wanted to move to work on KVM/libvirt. I used
qemu-img to convert it to a qcow2 image, loaded virt-manager and created a new
VM pointed at that qcow2 image.  The boot paniced when it tried to mount
the root filesystem also complaining about not being able to remount the
swap partition.

I played around and was able to get it to boot by changing the Virtual disk
bus to IDE from Virtio.  Searched about Virtio and I got to
http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Virtio and ran the mkinitrd mentioned to force
configuring the bus back to Virtio and booting it panics in the exact same
way.

I tried again after adding virtio_blk into /etc/modprobe.conf as
scsi_hostadapter and rerunning mkinitrd but it still fails.

Any clues what I am missing?

Paul Raines                     http://help.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
MGH/MIT/HMS Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
149 (2301) 13th Street     Charlestown, MA 02129	    USA

dispose of the e-mail.