[libvirt-users] converted VMDK disk iamge and Virtio driver

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Jun 18 20:49:40 UTC 2014

On 06/18/2014 02:23 PM, Paul Raines wrote:

> I have a CentOS 5 VM in vmware I wanted to move to work on KVM/libvirt.
> I used qemu-img to convert it to a qcow2 image, loaded virt-manager and
> created a new VM pointed at that qcow2 image.  The boot paniced when it
> tried to mount
> the root filesystem also complaining about not being able to remount the
> swap partition.

In general, converting a disk image from one hypervisor to another is
not trivial, because of things such as missing drivers and different
hardware being presented to the guest.  The virt-v2v project exists to
cover a lot of cases that you are probably overlooking in your manual
attempt; I'd recommend trying that approach:

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v/

> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom
> it is
> e-mail

This disclaimer is unenforceable on a publicly-archived mailing list.
You might want to consider using a personal email account rather than
spamming the list with your employer's bogus legalese.