[libvirt-users] /etc/machine-id

Gene Czarcinski gczarcinski at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 14:27:12 UTC 2014

I was under the impression that the value of /etc/machine-id was unqiue
for every OS installation on a system.  This seems to be the case on
real hardware.  That is, if I install Fedora 19, Fedora 20, and
Fedora-rawhide on a system, they will each have a different value for
/etc/machine-id.

This does not seem to be the case for qemy-kvm-libvirt virtual systems.
SOmetimes they are different but I just noticed that a virtual system
with both Fedora 20 and Fedora rawhide installed (btrfs partitioning),
the two installations have the same value in /etc/machine-id.  The two
installs have different ext4 partitions for /boot, different subvols for
the respective rootfs and the same/shared subvol for /home.

Comment?  Bug?

Gene