[libvirt-users] qemu-bridge-helper issue

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Wed Jun 25 12:51:01 UTC 2014

On 06/25/2014 03:28 PM, abhishek jain wrote:
> Hi Laine
>
> I'm able to run the qemu-bridge-helper but with root authority.
> I need to run it with non-root user.How can i do that?

The entire point of qemu-bridge-helper is that it can be run by
non-privileged users, but once run it has root privileges. This is done
by the binary having the "suid bit" set. If your distro didn't install
it this way, that is a bug (an ls -l of the binary should show
"rwsr-xr-x" permissions) . You can fix it with the chmod command (e.g.
"chmod 4755 /usr/libexec/qemu-bridge-helper"). If that is what was
broken, and you used the distro-built package, you should report it as a
bug to the distro's bug tracking system.

Beyond that, you need to read about the qemu-bridge-helper ACL file in
the link I originally gave (along with other info you can find with a
google search).