[libvirt-users] Problem in getting memory statistics

Claudio Bley cbley at av-test.de
Fri Mar 14 11:00:20 UTC 2014

At Wed, 12 Mar 2014 13:36:50 +0100,
Pasquale Dir wrote:

> Hello,
> I need to get how much memory is used by a guest system, in order to
> implement some monitoring function which tells me if the system is
> overstressed.
>
> I am currently using java apis and the binding which was suggested to me was
> Domain.memoryStats();
>
> This is a binding to  int virDomainMemoryStats
> (virDomainPtr<http://libvirt.org/html/libvirt-libvirt.html#virDomainPtr>dom,
> virDomainMemoryStatPtr<http://libvirt.org/html/libvirt-libvirt.html#virDomainMemoryStatPtr>stats,
>  unsigned int nr_stats, unsigned int flags).
>
> Problem is that it returns me just tags 0,6 and 7.
> Looking at the documentation I see they are not what I am looking for...I
> would rather need 4 (VIR_DOMAIN_MEMORY_STAT_UNUSED) and 5
> (VIR_DOMAIN_MEMORY_STAT_AVAILABLE).

The information available depends on the kind of hypervisor you're
using and which guest OS you have.

I guess you're using qemu.  Which version are you using?

What guest OS do you use? Which version?

What's the version number of the balloon driver inside your guest?

[ideally, you should always provide at least the hypervisor and guest
 OS information without us having to ask you]