[libvirt-users] libvirt-sock No such file or directory

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Mar 4 20:29:23 UTC 2014

On 03/04/2014 12:43 PM, Ram Srivatsa Kannan wrote:
> Hi,
> When I run the following command
>
> *~/kvm/virt-manager $ virsh -c qemu:///system list*
>
> i get the following errors. Please help me out with this issue.
> error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
> error: Failed to connect socket to
> '/usr/local/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory'

Did you build libvirt yourself?  This error generally occurs when the
libvirtd binary was compiled to live in one location, but your
self-compiled virsh and libvirt.so are compiled to look in another.  If
you are going to self-compile, you must ensure that the system libvirtd
is running at the same location; the easiest way to do that is to make
sure you specify configure options that match what your distro would do
('./autogen.sh --system' can help with that, especially for Fedora-based
systems); but it's also possible to uninstall your distro's version and
install your self-built version, as well as modify your system's init
setup to make sure it runs your self-built libvirtd as a daemon.