[libvirt-users] cgroup for VM - does it work properly?

Martin Pavlásek mpavlase at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 08:49:17 UTC 2014

On Thu 06 Mar 2014 20:16:45 CET, Martin Pavlásek wrote:
> On 06/03/14 10:35, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 12:32:28AM +0100, Martin Pavlásek wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I tried to restrict usage of some running VM by cpu.shares (i.e. set to
>>> 10 from original 1024) on loaded system and it seem doesn't work as I
>>> expected... all running processes has same CPU usage (by htop) :-/
>>> Does anyone has same experience?
>> The cpu.shares variable doesn't provide absolute restriction on
>> CPU usage, rather it is doing relative prioritization.
>>
>> eg if you have 2 cgroups that are at the same level in the hierarchy
>> and you give one shares=512 and one shared=1024, then the latter VM
>> will get twice the CPU scheduler time of the former. If the latter
>> VM is completely idle though, the former VM will not be capped in any
>> way.
>>
>> If you want absolute caps then you need to use period/quota settings.
>> Also you want todo this via the   virsh schedinfo   command, not accessing
>> cgroups directly.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Daniel
> Thanks Daniel for reply, nice example!
> In my case I've got quite weird results
>
> guest: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null for simulating heavy load
> host: dd if=... same as guest (to make host also loaded)
>
> host: htop for watching CPU usage (host has only one core), qemu (one
> VM, two threads) + dd (host) = 99% usage that is correct, as expected
> host: virsh schedinfo --set cpu_shares=10 <domain-ID>
> ...but whole load is still distributed equally - still ~30% for each.
>
> All processes are under itself default cgroup, so / for host dd and each
> VM in their own (something like /machine/<domain-name>). I didn't change
> any cgroup directly in this case.
> After that qemu processes should shoconsume significantly less cpu than
> others, isn't it (change "relative priority" from 1024 to 10)?
> Limiting by period or quota works, but I would be really happy to use
> just cpu.shares - I don't want to write own process scheduler, weights
> of cpu sharing is sufficient for me.
>
> Do you have idea why this behaviour happen?
> Regards

I just find out what was wrong... :-) cpu.shares is applied only to
process in same cgroup, so all common processes belong to / (cgroup
root), all VMs under /machine/. So dd running on host belongs to /, but
when I set cpu.shares of any VM, it wouldn't apply as I expected,
because these processes are exists in different cgroups.

PS: I'm sorry Danied for answer only to you, I've mismatched Reply and
Reply to all...

Martin Pavlásek <mpavlase at redhat.com>
 OpenStack QA Associate/Red Hat Czech/BRQ
 irc: mpavlase