[libvirt-users] LXC + passthrough mount and host filesystem-cache

James R. Leu jleu at inoc.com
Wed Mar 26 19:52:58 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm using libvirt to build/run LXC instances.  My LXC instances use
passthrough filesystem mounts.  When I try to do large file systems
operations (ex tar or rsync) the file systems cache on the host
spikes and causes the OOM handler to run and kills processes
in the LXC.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a way around this?
At this point I'm resorting to running a cron job that dumps
the filesystem cache every 5 minutes.  The result is the filesystem
cache on the host never grows too large and OOM never runs against
LXC processes.  The obvious down fall is that I'm killing my filesystem
performance by duming the cache.

I'm currently running libvirt 1.0.0

--
James R. Leu