[libvirt-users] virsh update-device: need to clear network filters

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Thu May 1 09:01:33 UTC 2014

On 04/30/2014 05:01 PM, Oleg Bondarev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone please help with the following: I have a running instance
> with interface
>
>     <interface type='bridge'>
>       <mac address='fa:16:3e:ba:a4:67'/>
>       <source bridge='br100/>
>       <target dev='vnet0'/>
>       <model type='virtio'/>
>       <filterref filter='nova-instance-instance-00000001-fa163ebaa467'/>
>       <alias name='net0'/>
>       <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03'
> function='0x0'/>
>     </interface>
>
> what I need is to clear network interface on the instance. I tried
> virsh update-device with following xml:
>
>     <interface type='bridge'>
>       <mac address='fa:16:3e:ba:a4:67'/>
>       <source bridge='br100/>
>       <model type='virtio'/>
>     </interface>
>
> but this results in the following error:
> $ sudo virsh update-device 13 xml.xml --persistent --live --config
> error: Failed to update device from xml.xml
> error: End of file while reading data: Input/output error
> error: Failed to reconnect to the hypervisor
>
> and libvirt is restarted. Is it possible to clear nw filter at all?

Yes, changing the filterref of the interface of a running domain has
been supported since v1.0.1, but you've found a genuine bug! I've
reproduced it on my system with the last sources from git, produced a
patch to fix it, and posted it to the upstream list:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2014-May/msg00005.html

Once this is ACKed and pushed, I'll pull it into the maintenance
branches back to 1.0.1.

Thanks for reporting this problem!