[libvirt-users] Is tunnelled "managed direct" live migration actually possible?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu May 8 21:29:37 UTC 2014

I have three servers set up as in this diagram:

  http://libvirt.org/migration.html#flowmanageddirect

My control application has separate libvirt connections to both the
source and destination nodes.  I want to migrate entirely over those
connections, not involving any third (peer-to-peer) connection between
nodes (a third connection isn't possible because of firewalls and SSH
keys).

Is this actually possible?  I've been playing with the API and reading
docs, and it seems like "direct managed" migration is simply not
possible :-(

  dom.migrate (dconn, libvirt.VIR_MIGRATE_LIVE|libvirt.VIR_MIGRATE_TUNNELLED)
  libvirt.libvirtError: Requested operation is not valid: cannot perform tunnelled migration without using peer2peer flag

Rich.