[libvirt-users] convert physical windows 8 machine to virtual machine

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu May 15 12:01:50 UTC 2014

On 05/15/2014 03:34 AM, arnaud gaboury wrote:
> I dual boot w8 and Arch Linux. Both are on the same ssd drive (each OS
> have of course a partition).
> Now I would like to virtualize w8 and run it inside Arch Linux using
> KVM/QEMU and Libvirt.
> w8 has already been installed on a ntfs partition. As it is brand new,
> it will not be difficult to reinstall it on a image.raw

The virt-p2v project is your friend; http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v/

Be aware that you CANNOT have a windows partition that does both
bare-metal booting and virtual booting without risking having to
re-register your machine at practically every boot - Windows is highly
sensitive to hardware changes, and the change between bare metal and
virtual is significant.