[libvirt-users] convert physical windows 8 machine to virtual machine

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu May 15 12:38:28 UTC 2014

On 05/15/2014 06:31 AM, arnaud gaboury wrote:

>> The virt-p2v project is your friend; http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v/
>
> Yes, it seems so. I came across some readings about this tool.
>>
>> Be aware that you CANNOT have a windows partition that does both
>> bare-metal booting and virtual booting without risking having to
>> re-register your machine at practically every boot
>
> Hum hum, that's what I am trying to do. I found some .zip files to
> apply from w8 that will modify IDE/SATA drivers. Are these driver
> changes not enough ?

You can definitely install enough drivers so that both bare-metal and
virtual will boot.  But what you cannot do is prevent the pci bus from
changing - the bare-metal boot WILL see different hardware than the
virtual boot, and windows is picky enough that it WILL require
re-registration every time the hardware changes that drastically.
There's no way around it.