[libvirt-users] Host OS, Storage Info

Ainsworth, Thomas tainsworth at vsi-corp.com
Thu May 22 12:58:54 UTC 2014

Sijo,

*Pertaining to virt-manager and virsh sluggish behaviour after a clone
operation:*

Thanks for your response.

Honestly I do not know what "host Storage in formations using libvirt API"
means.  Sorry.
I use virt-manager and virsh to do everything within KVM.  If there is
something better or
another product/app that will enable me to drill down into the system...let
me know...

However, perhaps this can help:

We are running *CentOS 6 (Update 5) 64 bit* - patched as of 11 April 2014.

I create the virtual machines with the virt-install command using the*
--file* switch and lay the system images of the vm's on the RAID5.
The RAID5 uses ext4.  The I/O to that volume is nice. We currently are
running twenty-six (26) VM's.  There is no I/O wait.  The system
has been up for thirteen (13) days.  The load index (top) is between 1 and
3.

Also, I have the following kernel tweak in /etc/sysctl.conf:

vm.drop_caches = 3

NOTE: Writing to this will cause the kernel to drop clean caches, dentries
and inodes from memory, causing that memory to become free;
           this helps to mitigate dipping into swap.

Thanks in advance for everything,

Tom