[libvirt-users] [netcf] Why netcf can not rename a existing physical interface dynamically by itself?

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Fri May 23 08:56:35 UTC 2014

On 05/23/2014 06:46 AM, Jianwei Hu wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a usage question about netcf. Why netcf can not rename a existing physical interface dynamically by itself?

The name of a physical interface is determined by lower levels of the
operating system, and can't be modified by netcf. the configuration that
is setup by netcf can only reference an *existing* physical device name,
it can't rename it.

> If you have any other method, please share to me, or can we add support for it in netcf?

One source of information is here:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

(although that only completely applies to systems running recent
systemd, e.g. Fedora 20, but not to RHEL6 as you appear to be running)

There is a reference there of how to change an interface name in a
system that isn't using "predictable network interface names" (or
biosdevname, which was a short-lived alternative attempt at a solution
to the same problem): modify the file
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. You'll need to reboot the
system for this to take effect.