Re: [libvirt-users] [netcf] Why netcf can not rename a existing physical interface dynamically by itself?

On 05/23/2014 04:56 PM, Laine Stump wrote:
On 05/23/2014 06:46 AM, Jianwei Hu wrote:
Hi All,

I have a usage question about netcf. Why netcf can not rename a existing physical interface dynamically by itself?
The name of a physical interface is determined by lower levels of the
operating system, and can't be modified by netcf. the configuration that
is setup by netcf can only reference an *existing* physical device nam[root rhel6 ~]# ip link set name jiahu eth1
[root rhel6 ~]# ifconfig jiahu
jiahu     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1B:21:27:4E:CE
           BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
           RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

[root rhel6 ~]# ifup jiahu

Determining IP information for jiahu... done.
e,
it can't rename it.
OK, thanks, but I think we can use ip command line to rename existing NIC.

[root rhel6 ~]# ip link set name jiahu eth1
[root rhel6 ~]# ifconfig jiahu
jiahu     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1B:21:27:4E:CE
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

[root rhel6 ~]# ifup jiahu

Determining IP information for jiahu... done.

If you have any other method, please share to me, or can we add support for it in netcf?
One source of information is here:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

(although that only completely applies to systems running recent
systemd, e.g. Fedora 20, but not to RHEL6 as you appear to be running)

There is a reference there of how to change an interface name in a
system that isn't using "predictable network interface names" (or
biosdevname, which was a short-lived alternative attempt at a solution
to the same problem): modify the file
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. You'll need to reboot the
system for this to take effect.