[libvirt-users] redirecting guest stdio to the host

Alexander Binun binun at cs.bgu.ac.il
Wed May 28 15:14:13 UTC 2014

Dear Friends,
  I would ask you a question ; grateful in advance!

I have a program running on a VM guest. Its output is valuable (for VM introspection) so I want to let the host module know about it. I prefer to redirect  ' stdio" of a guest into a device at the host (a text file or my device that has the name "mydev"
and the driver is written for it).

I have the XML definition file for my VM in /etc/libvirt/qemu. I have added the section:

    <serial type="file">
      <source path="/var/log/vm/vml.log"/>
      <target port="0"/>
    </serial>

into the /devices section.

That is I want the stdio to be streamed into the file /var/log/vm/vml.log at the host.

Then I run simple textual commands at the guest (ls, pwd and so on). But I do not see /var/log/vm/vml.log created at the host.

Please help me.

Thanks in advance,
   Alexander Binun