[libvirt-users] Is there a way to disable libvirt qemu monitor while creating kvm vm using virsh?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 09:32:48 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 06:54:58PM -0700, Min Du wrote:
> Hi Kashyap,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>

> >> Now for some reason, I need to add “ -qmp tcp:127.0.0.1:1235” when
> >> creating a KVM VM using libvirt.
> >
> > You might need to elaborate how exactly you're doing this.
>
> I wanted to add “-qmp tcp:127.0.0.1:1235” when creating VM because I
> was using a multi-level debugger which needs this option to get more
> information of the VM kernel debuginfo and the processes running inside
> the VM besides gdb attach.

That's impossible, because libvirt owns the QMP monitor and cannot delegate
use to another process. A core part of the VM startup process requires that
libvirt talk to the QMP monitor to accomplish work, as well as to receive
ongoing notifications of changes in state.

What is the debugger program you are using ?  It really needs to be updated
to use the libvirt APIs instead of QEMU monitor directly. Libvirt provides
an API for issuing monitor commands which it should be able to use. It is
just a question of re-writing the debugger to know about this.

Regards,
Daniel