[libvirt-users] maxvcpus

Laszlo Hornyak laszlo.hornyak at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 08:12:32 UTC 2014

Hi list,

According to the libvirt documentation [1]

"Show maximum number of virtual CPUs for guest domains on this connection"

This may not be a complete definition.

My first guess from the above was that this returns the number of virtual
CPUs that can exist at the same time on the host, either one or several
VMs. In fact it returned 16 in my fedora 20 desktop running with KVM, while
this is not the real limit of vCPUs. I can define a VM with more than 16
vCPUs (which does not really make sense when I have only two cores, but it
looks cool) and  also I can have well over 16 virtual machines running on
the host. I looked into the implementation and now I understand that each
driver returns different values, but I do not understand the constants. Can
you guys give me some hints how should I understand the output of the
command?

Best regards,
Laszlo

[1] : http://libvirt.org/sources/virshcmdref/html/sect-maxvcpus.html