[libvirt-users] sr-vio on intel while virsh chooses rtl8139 for model type

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Fri Oct 3 16:15:14 UTC 2014

On 10/03/2014 11:38 AM, lejeczek wrote:
> hi everybody
>
> I'd presume virsh makes the best possible choice, right?
> It is that just seems bit... odd having realtek in guest and Intel's
> VF on host, no?

This can safely be ignored - in the case of an SRIOV VF that is assigned
to the guest using PCI passthrough device assignment, the "model"
attribute is meaningless, but libvirt will always fill in the default
value (which is rtl8139) in the XML to prevent surprises if the default
emulated NIC model ever changes.

(I am assuming that you're using either <interface type='hostdev'> or
<interface type='network'> pointint to a network that has <forward
mode='hostdev'>. If you are instead using "type='direct'" or a network
with "<forward mode='bridge|passthrough|vepa'>" then the model *does*
matter, and you probably want to set it to "virtio", which is *not* the
default because not all guest OSes have a virtio network driver by
default (e.g. MS Windows))