[libvirt-users] KVM incremental backup using CBT

Jd jd_jedi at convirture.com
Fri Oct 10 17:37:37 UTC 2014

Hi
     Looking in to implementing (CBT like) delta backup for KVM.

     The following looks promising..(last paragraph)
      http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/Snapshots2

      * In the last para, there is a mention of copy the blocks from the
disk using dirty-bitmap as reference. How to accomplish this ?
block-mirror with bitmap or is there a qemu-img command ? some details
would be appreciated.

// backup software now reads foo.img using t0_dirty.dbmp to perform incremental backup, when finished

      * The backup after few runs in the backup store would be base
image + bunch of delta blocks ? Will this be same as base disk and bunch
of deltas ? or there is some special way to merge these ?

      * I am assuming this scheme (snapshot, bitmap, block merge etc.)
should work with base disk in raw (non-qcow) format as well ? Right ?
i.e. will it work when the storage disk is iscsi, lvm, fc ? std linux
block device?

      * Are there libvirt-api/verbs for doing some of this or we will
have to sue the qemu-monitor-command ?

      * What version of qemu/kvm will have the core capabilities and
which min libvirt version would be sufficient ?

      Is there a better way to do incremental backup / CBT like backup
than one mentioned here ?

Thanks
/Jd