[libvirt-users] What is the difference between running "virt-manager" and "sudo virt-manager"?

Allen Qiu my1stbox at 163.com
Mon Oct 27 08:31:17 UTC 2014

Hi all,

What is the difference between starting virt-manager by "virt-manager" and by "sudo virt-manager"? It seems that there are two copy of virt-manager running in the background.

When I run "virt-manager", I got a error of "Unable to open a connection to the libvirt management daemon. Libvirt URI is: qemu:///system Verify that: - The 'libvirtd' daemon has been started".

Whereas when I run "sudo virt-manager", I got a error of "Error starting Virtual Machine Manager: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information."

How should I deal with the two issues respectively? Is there any drawback by simply running "virt-manager"?

Regards,

Allen

2014-10-27

Allen Qiu