[libvirt-users] virsh net-start default fails

David Roundy roundyd at physics.oregonstate.edu
Tue Oct 7 18:53:49 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm getting an error, and have failed to succeed in googling for help with
it.  I have an old VM that I created a while back (at least one reboot ago,
possibly a kernel upgrade ago), and am now finding that it won't start due
to a lack of the 'default' network.

When I look for how to fix this, everyone seems to agree on the command:

# virsh net-start default
error: failed to get network 'default'
error: An error occurred, but the cause is unknown

But this fails.  A natural next check would be to use net-list:

# virsh net-list --all
Name                 State      Autostart

Which demonstrates that the 'default' network is unknown.  I'm certain that
it used to exist, and the file

/var/lib/libvirt/network/default.xml

does exist, claims to be autogenerated and looks reasonable.  I am at a
loss as to how to debug this further.

Any suggestions?
--
David Roundy