[libvirt-users] KVM incremental backup using CBT

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 14:23:51 UTC 2014

On 10/12/2014 10:19 PM, Jd wrote:

[please don't top-post on technical lists]

> Thanks Kashyap,
> The command line examples makes thing quite clear :)
> rsync for image (large) files create a new file for every little
> change,  that was the reason I started looking in to using dirty bitmaps.

Upstream qemu still doesn't have persistent dirty bitmap tracking
working yet; once patches land there, then we also need to get libvirt
to interact with those new qemu features.  But yes, dirty bitmap
tracking, so that you can track which portions of a file have changed
rather than copying the entire file, is something that is technically
feasible once the patches materialize.