[libvirt-users] The USB passthrough that refuses to die

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 20:05:16 UTC 2014

In trying to find out why my usb passthrough is not working, I decided
to edit (virsh edit) the config file for the vm client, removing the
following lines

    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x051d'/>
        <product id='0x0002'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>

checking with "virsh dumpxml" that the lines went away, and then restarting

[root at vmhost ~]# virsh start nagios
error: Failed to start domain nagios
error: internal error Did not find USB device 51d:2 bus:2 device:3

[root at vmhost ~]#

As you can see, it is still acting like the usb device is defined.
What am I missing here?