[libvirt-users] P2V Windows XP: image not booting

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Wed Sep 24 13:14:32 UTC 2014

Greetings,

yesterday I ran the VMware Standalone Converter on a physical
WinXP-machine and generated a ~160 GB image file (vmdk).

Transferred this to my gentoo QEMU/KVM host with libvirtd on it.

app-emulation/libvirt-1.2.3 currently ...

app-emulation/qemu-2.0.0

When I create a VM with this image in it, it only hangs there saying

"Booting from hard disk" and generates CPU load on the host.

When I attach a Windows-iso to the VM to try to repair the boot
environment it also does not boot from the iso and hangs there!

A VM with the iso alone boots.

What could be wrong?

I even converted the vmdk to raw format, same behavior.
Permissions are OK, afaik (it wouldn't work at all then, right?)

I played with CPU, ACPI etc ...

Do I have to use a specific target system within VMware Converter?

I am out of ideas for now.

btw. the same KVM host runs a W2008R2-VM without problems ...

Thanks for any advice on this, Stefan