[libvirt-users] time setting after suspend/resume

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Sep 29 15:19:39 UTC 2014

On 09/29/2014 02:28 AM, Martin Kletzander wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 08:16:25AM +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
>> Hi,
>>     I am using libvirt with qemu/kvm with qemu-guest-agent and
>> suspend/save/resume linux and windows vm's.  Time in Windows gets
>> handled fine with ntp but I can get neither ntp or chrony to sync after
>> resume without manually setting the time close to correct first.
>>
>> Searching has gotten me to the point where I can manually set the time
>> using qemu-guest-agent but I cant figure out how to get libvirt to
>> automaticly trigger this on resume.  I am finding information saying it
>> works but not how, or that its still work in progress and not
>> implemented yet (but patches exist).  Can someone either say "its not
>> working yet" or explain what I am missing please?
>>

> What version of libvirt are you using?  Since 1.2.5 there's
> virDomainSetTime() API that can do this and since 1.2.8 it's called
> automatically after resume.

Umm, I have a problem with that statement.  Anything that requires guest
interaction (which guest-agent set-time does) must NOT default to being
automatic; it is only safe to enable if explicitly allowed.  What is the
domain XML that must be explicitly set in order to turn on automatic
time-set after resume?