[libvirt-users] Does virsh actually work?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Sep 3 19:12:56 UTC 2014

On 09/03/2014 01:05 PM, Gary Hook wrote:

> root at huey:/tmp# virsh migrate --live --p2p

This command does not default to migrating storage,...

> (huey is 10.10.11.203, dewey is 10.10.11.204; DNS works, but I thought to
> eliminate that as a source of this problem.) As can be seen, the .qcow2
> files exists on the source system, and does not exist on the target system.

...therefore, this error message is expected if the storage is not
already present on the destination.

Migration requires either that you have shared storage (both source and
destination can see THE SAME FILE, and if one side sees the file via
NFS, then both sides must see the file via NFS [you can't mix local and
NFS]).  OR, you have to tell migration that you want to migrate storage
as well as machine state, by adding the --copy-storage-all flag to your
command line.

> The directory shown is where images are to be stored. There is no problem
> starting and stopping VMs on the systems. It is not at all clear where the
> failure is occurring; there is no documentation that discusses this
> failure, of course.

http://libvirt.org/migration.html should document useful information
such as this; would you like to submit a patch to help improve that web
page?  The sources are in libvirt.git under docs/migration.html.in.