[libvirt-users] grep ip address from KVM DHCP log

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Mon Sep 15 09:02:45 UTC 2014

On 12.09.2014 17:46, Jianfeng Tang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I plan to use KVM internal network 'default' and grep dhcp log to figure
> out the IP address that assigned to my VM.
>
> I know I can configure static ip but I like to assign ip dynamically to
> avoid mgmt cost.
>
> Does anyone know where the dhcp log is? My KVM host is running Ubuntu
> Raring (13.04). It does not have file /var/log/daemon.log as some online
> doc mentioned.
>
> Thanks,
> ~Jianfeng

Hi,

this is the area that is somewhat actively worked on.

The leases file is located under
/var/lib/libvirt/dnsmasq/default.leases, however I'd strongly recommend
using libvirt API for that:

   virsh net-dhcp-leases default

BTW: it's not KVM's default network. The network is created and managed
by libvirt ;-)

Michal