[libvirt-users] Using custom QEMU binaries with libvirt

Joaquim Barrera jbarrera at ac.upc.edu
Thu Sep 18 08:57:23 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I compiled a custom version of QEMU 2.0.0 and I am having hard times to
make it available to libvirt. Just to clarify, if I execute

/usr/local/bin/qemu-system-x86_64

it does performs good. But when I put this very same path to <emulator>
tag in a domain configutation, when i start the domain I get

error: Failed to start domain vm1
error: internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor:
libvirt:  error : cannot execute binary
/usr/local/bin/qemu-system-x86_64: Permission denied

I tried setting +x permission to all the binaries in /usr/local/bin,
disabling apparmor profile for libvirtd, creating and putting to
complain a profile for
/usr/local/bin/qemu-system-x86_64, creating a softlink to
/usr/bin/kvm-spice to the custom binary and leaving <emulator> as default...

At the end of http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/openstack/dev/40033
I found something about AppArmor, and  enabling bios.bin reading
somewhere, but I got a little confused here.

The most disapointing thing here, is that using qemu 1.7 I could use my
custom build, but apparently something changed with 2.0 (or with libvirt
integration).

Any ideas?

Thanks!