[libvirt-users] usb passtrough stuck to a given

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 20:11:17 UTC 2014

      So I have an entry for a USB device ( ID 051d:0002, UPS) I want
to use with a given vm client. In that vm client's config file I added
something like this:

    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x051d'/>
        <product id='0x0002'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>

And that worked fine for a while. Now I moved the vm host, and then
put the cable to the UPS on an available USB port

Bus 002 Device 006: ID 051d:0002 American Power Conversion Uninterruptible Power

and tried to restart the client... and got the following message:

error: internal error Did not find USB device 51d:2 bus:2 device:3

Er, why should it care about which bus and device this is? I thought
my config would mean it would look for the device that matched the ID
in the config no matter where it was. How did it learn and memorized
what I guess is the old location?