[libvirt-users] [libvirt] increase number of libvirt threads by starting tansient guest doamin - is it a bug?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Sep 26 14:20:04 UTC 2014

On 09/26/2014 07:22 AM, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> [Disabling cross-post]
>
> On 26.09.2014 12:21, ustermann78 at web.de wrote:
>> Hi Michal,
>> thank you for your answer.
>> so if i understand that correctly, no matter if i shutdown or destroy
>> the domain and no matter if it is a transient or an persistent vm, the
>> thread should disappear, right?
>>
>> in my case they still exist, also an hour after i destroy the domain
>> (and don´t start any new one).
>>
>> i use libvirt-1.1.35 on fedora core 20, for information.
>
> Well, can you attach gdb and see what is the new thread doing?

Also, we intentionally keep a pool of worker threads, in order to
minimize the overhead of creating and tearing down threads; the pool is
populated on demand.  If there is a free thread, we reuse it; otherwise
we create the new one.  A thread that has nothing to do is not wasting
resources while waiting around for a new reason to be used.