[libvirt-users] CPU Resource Reservation using KVM

Jatin Davey jashokda at cisco.com
Mon Apr 13 08:11:59 UTC 2015

On 4/13/2015 1:18 PM, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 12:14:12PM +0530, Jatin Davey wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I am new to KVM world. I have been using VMware for about a year.
>>
>> In VMware world we can reserve cpu resources for a VM. Say for instance if
>> we need 4 vCPUs with a total of 8000 GHz then we can mention this
>> configuration in vCenter while creating a VM. This guarantees 8000 GHz of
>> cpu resources for the deployed VM.
>>
>> How can i achieve the same thing using KVM ?
>
> If you are comfortable with command line, you can look at `virsh` manual
> page for
>
>      setvcpus - change number of virtual CPUs
>
> to control how many vCPUs you can allocate.
>
> If you're using `virt-manager`, you should be able to control it via UI
> for a guest under its "Show virtual hardware details" and look for
> "Processor".

I have looked at virsh and more specifically "setvcpus". We can assign
virtual CPUs using it but my question is different. I am looking at
reserving cpu speed to the virtual cpu's. I know we can allocate and
modify the amount vcpu's using setvcpus command but how can i ask kvm to
reserve a particular amount of cpu speed of the host core's to the
virtual cpus.

Thanks
Jatin