[libvirt-users] ESX VM from scratch

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 1 18:46:53 UTC 2015

> I want to create a virtual machine from scratch in ESX but I can't figure
> out how to create the disks -  the vmdk files. Any hints on how that can be
> done or even if it's possible at all ?

You can use the following virsh command:

vol-create-as --pool ds --name test/disk.vmdk --capacity 10737418240

This will create a 10 GB VMDK image named test/disk.vmdk in the
datastore ds. You need to replace ds with the actual name of a
datastore on your ESX server. You can get a list of the available
datastores with the virsh command pool-list.

--
Matthias Bolte
http://photron.blogspot.com